2/19/08

Wakefield Workers

To all of you at Wakefield Baptist Church who do so much...I was praying for you this morning. You were on my heart because when I think about the formal membership of WBC many of you work like crazy around here.

It is not uncommon for me to hear of people who, for instance, could not go to worship because they were in the nursery all morning...or of people who were at the church working on a Saturday. I have also noticed that there are people who serve in several different capacities and on several different committees at one time.

These are but a few examples that give me concern for some of you. I know that you love WBC. And I know that you love Jesus Christ. That is why you do all you do. But be sure that you are not so busy doing church that you miss out on nurturing your spiritual life while you are here. God is honored when you work for Him. Our church is built up when you work hard to make it a better place. And, ultimately, the people who attend our church will grow spiritually because of your labor. But I want you to grow, too. I want you to nurture your spiritual life as well. I want church to be a place of growth for you like it is for others and not only a place where you come to work.

Over night our church has become a medium sized church and will soon be a large church. There is something significent that happens to leaders once this takes place. Leaders have to stop being the "workers" and have to turn themselves into "equippers". In other words, you have to reproduce yourself...be a leader that developes leaders...a person that raises people up to lead and to work.

We are short staffed and will be for a long time. This means that our leadership among our membership is going to be a key asset to our survival. But the key is not for you to work harder and take on more stuff. The key is for you to become an equipper and to develop leaders around you. And, whatever you do, do not neglect your personal spiritual growth.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!