3/31/08

Becoming a Contagious Christian

I became convinced a long time ago that evangelism was a function to which all Christians are called.  I know that some people view evangelism as a spiritual gift.  I do not agree with that statement.  While there are some people that are more gifted and skilled at sharing the Gospel than others, this does not mean that it is a spiritual gift.  There are even people that will be more successful at winning people to Jesus than others.  But to say that evangelism is a spiritual gift causes people who do not perceive themselves as gifted at evangelism to exclude themselves from the task.

One does not have to look far into Scripture to see that all believers are called to share their faith.  I believe that evangelism is a spiritual discipline to be practiced just like daily Bible reading, prayer, worship, and any other personal, spiritual discipline.  I have come to the conclusion that you cannot be a fully devoted follower of Jesus unless you are active at sharing your faith when you have the opportunity.

I know that this will inevitably make some people feel guilty and in adequate.  However, notice that I did not say that you had to lead people to Jesus to be a devoted believer.  After all, we cannot be responsible for how people respond to the Gospel message.  Our job is to share the message.  When we do this, people eventually start getting saved.

People don't get saved because I am a good evangelist.  They get saved because God works in their heart.  The great news is that I can be active with God as he is active in the hearts of others.

I believe that the Becoming a Contagious Christian Class on Sunday evenings is going to prepare people for sharing their faith.  I am so pleased that many people have committed to being involved in this.